Trusts and Estates

Catalyst Law serves trusts and estates clients with a wide range of family and financial circumstances. Our holistic trusts and estates practice handles a complete range of matters, including proactive planning and efficient administration, finding solutions to problems, and assisting clients with resolving a wide variety of disputes.

Estate Planning

At Catalyst Law, our estate planning practice provides you with peace of mind knowing you have clearly expressed your personal and charitable intentions to be carried out during your life (including any period of incapacity) and after your death. Catalyst’s team of trusts and estates attorneys assist clients with all aspects of estate planning to help ensure the intentional, meaningful, and efficient management and transfer of property and wealth. We do this by focusing on your personal values and family goals when preparing custom plans for your individual circumstances. Learn more ›

Estate Administration & Probate

Catalyst attorneys advise personal representatives and executors on the legal and tax issues necessary for an efficient administration of estate assets. Our trusts and estates practice guides clients through the court-supervised probate process, which transfers property from a deceased person to his or her heirs and beneficiaries. At such an emotional time, our experience lends itself to easing the burden of the responsibilities and tasks required for probate or other court proceedings, estate and gift tax preparation, and long-term administration of trust accounts. Learn more ›

Trust Administration

Catalyst Law works with Trustees to manage trust assets as directed by the trust document. Some trusts are created by a deceased person’s Will, and we assist Trustees of those trusts as well. If you are appointed as a Trustee, our attorneys have the expertise to help you understand your legal duties under the terms of the trust and state law, and provide both legal and practical advice to allow a smooth administration of any long-term family trusts. Learn more ›

Premarital Agreements

Premarital Agreement, also referred to as a “Prenuptial Agreement,” or “Prenup” for short, allows you and your fiancé to decide before you get married how to divide your property, assets, and liabilities if your marriage does not last. It is particularly important to consider a Prenup if you (or your spouse) have significant assets or debts. For those who have gone through a previous divorce, a Prenup allows you to protect yourself from a drawn-out legal dispute. 

If you are considering a Prenup, or if your fiancé asked you to sign a Prenup, we invite you to schedule an initial consultation with an experienced attorney who can answer your questions and help understand the process.


Postmarital Agreements

Postmarital Agreements, also known as a “Postnup,” is similar to a Premarital Agreement, except that you and your spouse enter into the agreement after you are married rather than before your marriage. Like with a Prenup, a Postnup is a contract that lays out how you plan to divide your property, assets, and liabilities should your marriage end in divorce. 

A Postnup helps clarify a couple’s financial arrangements between one another, particularly when unexpected or unplanned changes happen after you are married and may help prevent a messy and drawn-out divorce. If you are already married, hiring an attorney skilled in drafting Postnups is critical to guide you through the process.  If you are considering a Postnup, or if your spouse asked you to sign a Postnup, we invite you to schedule an initial consultation with an experienced attorney who can answer your questions and help understand the process.

Protective Proceedings

When your loved one can no longer take care of themselves and/or manage personal finances, a protective proceeding – either a Guardianship or Conservatorship, or both – could be your last resort. Without a revocable trust or power of attorney, a formal court protective proceeding is required to authorize a family member or friend to provide care or manage finances for an incapacitated adult.  In the case of a minor child, a protective proceeding is necessary if the parent(s) died intestate or without an operative guardianship provision or testamentary trust in the will(s). Learn more ›