Non-Profit Formation in Oregon

Partnering with Catalyst assures compliance with federal and state laws and regulations and solves for the uncertainty, frustration, and confusion facing your new nonprofit organizations at a critical moment, when your founders and supporters seek to raise funds and you seek to launch programs and activities.

For a standard fixed fee, Catalyst prepares and files standard entity formation documents for domestic nonprofit corporation clients in Oregon, including:

  • Check for name availability with Oregon Secretary of State
  • Prepare and file:
    • Articles of Incorporation to form new nonprofit public benefit, mutual benefit, or religious corporation
    • Assumed Business Name (“ABN”) Registration (otherwise known as “dba;” or “doing business as”), if applicable
    • Oregon Dep’t of Justice Charitable Registration Form (Form RF-C)
  • Prepare corporate governance documents, including:
    • Bylaws, customized and tailored to state-specific nonprofit corporation laws;
    • Resolution of Organizer;
    • Initial Member Resolutions; and
    • Conflict of Interest Policy.
  • Obtain Federal Tax Employment Identification Number (FEIN) and Oregon Business Identification Number (BIN), if applicable
  • Provide electronic corporate “minute book” with copies of executed formation documents
  • Provide start-up guidance letter, including:
    • guidance regarding initial actions of the incorporator and board of directors;
    • counsel regarding planned activities and compliance issues;
    • governance and compliance checklist and deadlines;
    • recommendations with respect to other professional advisors;
    • resource guide with contact information for taxing authorities, and
    • a calendar for initial year operations.

Formation of a domestic nonprofit corporation engaged in charitable, educational, religious, or other similar activities is an organization’s first step. To also obtain federal and state tax-exempt status from income tax, the organization must qualify as a public charity or private foundation under I.R.C. Section 501(c)(3) and/or enter into a fiscal sponsorship agreement with an existing tax-exempt organization with a similar purpose.


Connect with Us