Kara brings to Catalyst Law several years’ experience as a fiduciary litigator. As an experienced trial attorney, she represents clients in a wide-range of complex trusts and estates disputes, representing individuals, trust companies, and non-profit organizations.
Prior to moving to the West Coast to join Catalyst Law, Kara worked at an established law firm in New York State. Kara’s experience includes: including will contests, disputed estate and trust accounting proceedings, cy pres proceedings, trust modifications, fiduciary removal, undue influence, capacity cases, breach of fiduciary duty, financial elder abuse, contested guardianship & conservatorship matters, disputes regarding decedents’ retirement accounts, and proceedings to approve settlements of wrongful death claims.
Representative clients include:
- Individual trustees
- Corporate trustees
- Personal Representatives
- Guardians and/or Conservators
- Protected Parties
Kara also has experience as a business and commercial litigator, including representation of clients in disputes such as breach of contract; challenges to state, municipal, and agency decisions; eminent domain proceedings; corporate dissolutions and disputes; receivership matters; breach of fiduciary duty claims; and actions involving restrictive covenants.
- Two-week trial representing multi-national investment bank in trust accounting matter involving allegations of negligent retention of securities. Judgment unanimously reversed on appeal in favor of bank.
- Counsel for co-executor of estate in dispute resulting in full dismissal of objections to an accounting. Successfully defended appeal resulting in dismissal.
- Counsel to school district in the successful transfer of over 40 scholarship funds to a not-for-profit foundation established to more efficiently administer the funds and maximize the rate of return.
- Counsel to various charitable institutions in contested cy pres proceedings.
- Obtained favorable resolution of a will contest and dispute over decedent’s retirement accounts.
- Counsel for religious organizations in a challenge to the validity of a pour-over will and trust.
- Counsel for recycling company in litigation alleging breach of contract, nuisance, and violations of various federal and state environmental statutes and regulations.
- Counsel for numerous real estate companies in dispute over corporate ownership and related receivership matters.
- Obtained damages award as lead trial attorney for health care provider in an action alleging breach of restrictive covenants.
- Counsel for healthcare company in dispute filed in New York State Supreme Court and before the American Arbitration Association alleging breach by private equity investor of financing and recapitalization obligations.
- Obtained favorable resolution of case involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary information for manufacturer of primary packaging component parts.
Kara graduated from University at Buffalo School of Law in New York and the State University of New York Fredonia. She is licensed to practice law in New York State Courts and the U.S. District Court, New York – Western District, and is in process of applying for license to practice in Oregon and Colorado.
An outdoor enthusiast, Kara enjoys backpacking, surfing, and skiing, all of which she hopes to do more of from her new homebase on the West Coast.