Kara E. Stoddart
Kara has extensive experience as a commercial and fiduciary litigator and has represented individuals, fiduciaries, trust companies, and non-profit organizations in a wide range of complex business and trusts and estates disputes.
Her trusts and estates experience includes will contests, disputed estate and trust accounting proceedings, trust modifications, fiduciary removal proceedings, cases involving allegations of undue influence, incapacity, breach of fiduciary duty, and financial elder abuse, contested guardianship and conservatorship matters, disputes regarding decedents’ retirement accounts, cypres proceedings, and proceedings to approve settlements of wrongful death claims.
Kara also has experience as a business and commercial litigator, including representing clients in breach of contract actions, challenges to state, municipal and agency decisions, eminent domain proceedings, corporate dissolutions and disputes, receivership matters, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and actions involving restrictive covenants.
- Two-week trial representing multi-national investment bank in trust accounting matter involving allegations of negligent retention of securities. Judgment unanimously reversed on appeal in favor of bank.
- Counsel for co-executor of estate in dispute resulting in full dismissal of objections to an accounting. Successfully defended appeal resulting in dismissal.
- Counsel to school district in the successful transfer of over 40 scholarship funds to a not-for-profit foundation established to more efficiently administer the funds and maximize the rate of return.
- Counsel to various charitable institutions in contested cy pres proceedings.
- Obtained favorable resolution of a will contest and dispute over decedent’s retirement accounts.
- Counsel for religious organizations in a challenge to the validity of a pour-over will and trust.
- Counsel for recycling company in litigation alleging breach of contract, nuisance and violations of various federal and state environmental statutes and regulations.
- Counsel for numerous real estate companies in dispute over corporate ownership and related receivership matters.
- Obtained damages award as lead trial attorney for health care provider in an action alleging breach of restrictive covenants.
- Counsel for health care company in dispute filed in New York State Supreme Court and before the American Arbitration Association alleging breach by private equity investor of financing and recapitalization obligations.
- Obtained favorable resolution of case involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary information for manufacturer of primary packaging component parts.
J.D., State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, 2010
- Buffalo Law Review, Articles Editor
- Buffalo Journal of Gender, Law & Social Policy, Editor B.A., State University of New York at Fredonia (magna cum laude), History and Psychology, 2004
Kara is licensed to practice law in Oregon, New York, and Colorado.